Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holi, Holi, Holi!

This is the celebration I've been most anticipating for so many reasons. There is so much I could say about this event simply because the culture that it originated in is very rich and filled with a long history.

Honestly, I have no first-hand experience with the culture or this celebration, but I will do my best to describe it in some detail while containing my excitement.


Holi is a religious festival held every year among the Hindu people to celebrate the end of winter and the coming of spring. It does have some religious meaning as well present in Hindu mythology. The event is also known as The Festival of Colors which represents many colors of spring. During the festival people throw colored powder at each other.

While Holi is a Hindu festival, it is celebrated in many other places across the world. It has even come to my university (UCO) and will be held on April 9th! I have never participated in this celebration, but I think this is my year!

I wish I had more insight on this festival because it definitely shares a "colorful" side to an already diverse culture. But here's a blog from someone who has a different perspective than mine here.

UPDATE: UCO's Holi Festival has been moved to April 11th due to weather. Hope to see ya there!





1 comment:

  1. This festival is everything I ever wanted out of "The Color Run" and the "Color Me Rad" 5k's that I participate in just for the excitement of being covered in colored dust, only better because you don't have to RUN or SWEAT! Right up my alley, thank you for sharing Leslie!

    ReplyDelete